Opportunity – More efficient lighting methods use less energy creating heat and more on creating light. Changing to more efficient compact and linear fluorescent lighting will provide a 3 times and 5 times improvement respectively in efficiency compared to halogen.
Linear – 15W, $5, 67 lb
Compact – 24W, $7, 106 lb
LED – 28W, $8, 124 lb
Halogen – 77W, $23, 337 lb
Incand - 100 W, $30, 437 lb
For each halogen replaced:
By Compact Fluorescent saves 53 watts, $16 per year and avoids 231 pounds of air pollution
By Linear Fluorescent saves 62 watts, $18 per year and avoids 270 pounds of green house pollutionImplementation
- Gain approval for small capital investment to upgrade lighting. ROI from lower energy costs is typically less than a year. Many reputable firms are available that can perform the work within a few days.
- Ensure that user installed task lighting is efficient. Some occupants add their own lighting, which often uses traditional incandescent.
- Take advantage of natural light by placing office space near windows and keep cubicle walls low to allow light to penetrate more deeply inside the building.
- Take advantage of rebates offered by your utility.
- Purchase electricity from renewable resources.
Post a Comment